Wednesday, April 27, 2011

My Quest for the Perfect Cupcake

Decadent, blissful, delicious and mouthwatering are some of the words used to describe the perfect cupcake. However, most of us have a hard time baking that perfect cupcake and are willing to chalk up a few bucks to get it. Buying that perfect cupcake allows us to get whatever flavor and topping(s) our heart desires. My personal favorite is a dark chocolate cupcake with peanut butter frosting topped with a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. Trying to save myself a few bucks, I've attempted to bake my perfect cupcake and learned a few lessons along the way.


One of the key lessons I've learned about cupcake batter is that you should not use recipes that say they can be used for either cake or cupcake butter. I found that my so-called cupcakes tasted more like muffins and were not nearly as moist as they should be.


Cupcake frosting, the most important part of the cupcake (in my opinion), can be tricky to make especially if it is not done correctly. I recommend starting with half the amount of liquid the recipe calls for and add as needed until you get the perfect consistency. Putting in all the liquid at once can make the icing too watery. I've learned this the hard way by making frosting three times before I got it right. Also, if you do not want to buy a frosting bag and decorating tips, you can put the frosting in a plastic bag and cut a corner to swirl the frosting on. This will give you that out of the bakery look.


Cupcakes are the perfect snack to share with your family and friends. So go ahead and make your perfect cupcake today.

No comments:

Post a Comment