Sunday, June 26, 2011

Black and White Cupcakes


Continuing on my quest to bake the perfect cupcake, I wanted to bake a black and white cupcake. I also knew I didn’t want a recipe that used white chocolate as the white part of the cupcake. I was looking for something creamier, something like cream cheese. Knowing what I was looking for in a recipe, I set out to find the perfect black and white cupcake recipe. After much research, I came across the following black and white cupcake recipe.

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes

Ingredients
1 ½ cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
5 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Chocolate Cupcake Batter
Chocolate Chip Filling
8 ounces cream cheese 
1 egg
1/3 cup sugar
8 ounces milk chocolate chips

Chocolate Chip Filling
Directions
In a large bowl, stir together the first five ingredients. In another bowl, beat together water, oil and vanilla. Gradually add to the dry ingredients, stirring until well blended. Fill 18 cupcake liners half full of batter. Beat the filling ingredients and put a tablespoon of the filling on each cupcake, on top of the chocolate batter.

Prepared and ready to go into the oven
Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes

Baked and ready to eat

I made these cupcakes the day before a family get together, giving me the perfect opportunity to have several people taste the cupcakes. Everyone enjoyed the cupcakes saying the cream cheese gave the cupcakes an interesting texture. The cupcakes also came out very moist. The only change I would make to this recipe is mixing the chocolate chip filling into the batter instead of putting a tablespoon on top. I think this would give the black and white cupcakes a more even taste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment