Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Using Food as Art


When we were in nursery school, we all made projects with different shaped and colored macaroni. My dog ate the macaroni, glue and all off of my macaroni art projects so they didn't last very long in my house. These simple art projects got me thinking about art projects to keep the little ones I babysit for busy. I'm always looking for new and fun ideas to keep the occupied. Food art projects can involve almost any non-perishable food – candy, cereal and goldfish.

The kids I babysat for loved the idea. I grabbed some macaroni, left over Halloween candy like Tootsie Roles, Twizzlers and Starburst, glue, crayons and paper. Everyone, including myself, began to make our food creations. Both of the kids really enjoyed getting creative and playing with the food, something they normally aren’t allowed to do. One of the children drew a person with crayon and used the candy to design the face and clothes. When everyone was finished we all hung our projects on the fridge.

Another baking project I like to do with the children is to make something out of a baking mix. Baking mixes are great when kids are looking to bake, but you don’t want to deal with the hassle of making homemade food. They only require a few ingredients, which the kids can easily add in and mix, as well as making clean up a lot easier. I've made banana bread, brownies and white cake all of which the kids enjoyed baking, frosting and eating. These are also great bonding times with them. That is what I enjoy the most about these projects. 

No comments:

Post a Comment