Saturday, June 4, 2011

Brownies With a Twist

In my house, brownies are the top dessert. I was ecstatic when I finally found a brownie recipe my dad loved, but I quickly became bored making the same brownie recipe. I wanted to create brownies with a twist; combining ingredients you wouldn’t think go well with brownies. Knowing that baking marble cake can be a challenge, I choose to bake black and white brownies. I thought it could give me a little more of a challenge then throwing together dark chocolate and white chocolate cocoa powder.

After doing a lot of research about black, and white brownies and what ingredients you can use, I put together my own recipe. Using coconut and oatmeal for the white layer of the brownie, I was able to use ingredients not normally found in brownies, as well as challenging myself to think outside of the box.

I started with a typical brownie recipe using butter, eggs, sugar, baking powder, salt and vanilla. The twist on this recipe is using oatmeal, coconut flakes and cream. As part of the white brownie batter, the oatmeal, coconut flakes, butter, sugar, baking powder salt and cream were cooked for about 11 minutes prior to putting the chocolate brownie batter on top. Once the white brownie batter comes out of the oven, you can need to work quickly in spreading out the chocolate brownie batter since it starts to cook once is placed on top.

Overall, this brownie recipe turned out great. Everyone enjoyed the contrast of flavors between the coconut, oatmeal and soft, chewy chocolate brownie. It was something most people have not experienced when eating a brownie. I’m glad this baking experiment turned out to be a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment