Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Hands Off My Cake!

Cakes have a strong influence in our lives. From birthday parties to weddings to religious ceremonies, cakes play a crucial role in making these events special. Some people go all out having bakers make outrageous, one of a kind cakes that will be sure to grab everyone's attention. A cake made incorrectly, such as the cake being too dry, can ruin an event.


Cookie cake was the first cake I had attempted to bake. The cake itself came out great with a soft inside and crispy edges on the outside. My fears that the cookie cake would come out hard and inedible were eased once I saw how much everyone was enjoying it. However, I would not recommend baking a cookie cake on a pizza tray. I was aiming to make a circular cookie cake and instead got a deformed circle. Not quite sure what happened (I think some edges may have expanded a little) because the cookie cake went into the oven perfectly round. Needless to say when I make another cookie cake, I will be using a rectangular cooking tray.


Another cake I have made is a red velvet cake with homemade cream cheese frosting. Red velvet cake is my favorite. I love the flavor the cocoa adds especially when it's combined with the cream cheese frosting. When done correctly red velvet cake is like biting into a piece of heaven. In the process of making the red velvet cake I did learn a valuable lesson. 


Not only make sure that the cake pan is well greased, but to check the condition of the cake pan if it is more than a few years old. Although I had greased the cake pan, the cake still got stuck. My father had to help me literally peel the cake out of the pan inch by inch and still lost some of the cake. We were literally "gluing" the missing pieces back together with frosting. What we both realized is that the cake pan had seen better days and was no longer a non-stick pan. We threw out the old cake pans and bought new ones. 


For my next project I am thinking of making either carrot cake or strawberry shortcake, but am still researching what other cakes are out there. Does anyone have suggestions on what cake I should bake next?

No comments:

Post a Comment