Friday, May 13, 2011

There Is Nothing Like Homemade Ice Cream

I remember the first time my dad brought home an ice cream maker to make homemade ice cream. We were so excited that we could finally have ice cream whenever we wanted it. All we had to do was put the ingredients in the ice cream maker and voila! Ice cream! If only making ice cream from an ice cream maker was that simple. You have to let it freeze in the freezer for a certain amount time or boil cream and milk or both. Too complicated for instantaneous ice cream.


However, if you want instantaneous ice cream there is always putting the ingredients (milk, sugar and vanilla) with ice, preferably crushed, and rock salt in a gallon sized zip lock bag. Gently massage and shake the ingredients for about fifteen to twenty minutes. In this time, the ingredients should start to turn into solid ice cream. Once all ingredients have frozen, you can enjoy your ice cream! Fifteen to twenty minutes may not be instantaneous, but at least it’s better then running to the store or waiting for the ice cream to freeze.

My favorite thing about homemade ice cream is you can have whatever flavor you want, topped with whatever you want. So far, I’ve stuck to the simple ice creams, chocolate and vanilla. When I have more time, I plan on trying some of the most difficult flavors like strawberry or peanut butter. In the mean time, I will stick to decorating my simple ice cream with chocolate chips, chocolate syrup, whip cream and anything else I can think of or find in my kitchen cabinets.  

Now we have no more excuses for not eating ice cream. All we have to do is grab a zip lock bag, and a few ingredients and we are good to go.  

No comments:

Post a Comment