Monday, May 16, 2011

Light and Fluffy or Creamy and Thick?

Mousse can be light and fluffy or creamy and thick. It depends on how a particular restaurant serves it or your preference if you are making mousse from scratch. In my opinion mousse that is thick and creamy taste more like custard than mousse. My personal favorite mousse is light and fluffy dark chocolate mousse topped with whip cream and an assortment of fruit.

Blu Fig, a local restaurant, serves the most appetizing milk chocolate mousse. The mousse is served in a small martini type glass and is topped with whip cream, strawberries, blackberries and raspberries. It has just the right blend of cream and chocolate with the fruit adding some sweetness to the dessert. Hungry or not, I almost always order the milk chocolate mousse for dessert. 

I went to a great restaurant on Valentine's Day whose name I am unfortunately forgetting at the moment. As soon as I think of it, I will be sure to update everyone. One of their dessert options was a raspberry mousse. I figured I would try it since I've never had a raspberry mousse. Like most restaurants, the mousse was severed in a martini glass, topped with whip cream and strawberries and blackberries. Since raspberry is already sweet, the fruit added a little too much sweetness for my liking although the dessert was still delicious.


After all this talk about mousse, I think I am going to tackle it for my next baking project. I'll keep everyone posted on how it turns out.



No comments:

Post a Comment